Monday, September 5, 2011

The story of a teacher and a soldier, it goes something like this...

I posted this on Facebook awhile ago, and now that I am officially a "blogger" I figured it was appropriate to put it on here :).
A little over three years ago I met the love of my life, Nick Susano Behling. It has been a crazy ride, and yes it has had its ups and downs, but none the less it has been amazing. Nick and I started out as friends. I hung out with him and his roomates every night for almost three months before we started technically dating. In July of 2008 I stole a Tom Petty CD from him, in hopes that he would call me to have me return it and possibly ask me out on a date. It worked. Our first date was at the armory in St. George for a millitary function August (date unknown) ;) 2008. After our "first date" Nick and I became inseperable. Getting icees from the Maverick in Enoch was our favorite hobby. (I never quite figured out why Nick would want to drive us that far.) Nick stayed in Cedar with me until he made the choice to move home to Emery county March 2009. This is when we began the hellish thing I like to call a "long distance relationship." Nick made a point to come see me every weekend , but "liking" this boy from a distance was still tough. In August 2009, Nick moved back to Cedar to begin his first semester of college with me. I was ecstatic. We moved in together, and I finally heard the big L word. We had a dog named bear, a pantry full of Top Ramen, and a freezer full of party pizzas. We didn't have much, but we made it work. Febuary 2010, Nick drops out of school and leaves AGAIN to work in Emery county, I was heart broken. I put up with the distance for what felt like the longest ten months of my entire life. Looking back now, I would give anything to see Nick only on the weekends. August 9, 2010, Nick proposes to me.He places a blanket over my head and slips a ring on my finger. I say yes. That's it. He can't keep surprises; neither can I. No, it wasn't romantic or well thought through, but it was perfect for us. Nick and I have always had more of a friendship relationship than a romantic one. We tried planning a wedding for Febraury 12, 2011. It didn't happen.We decided to wait because of the circumstance and my schooling. The wedding date is still pending, but it's probably going to take place August 2012. In November 2010 Nick moved back in with me because of his upcoming deployment. November-June 2011 were the best months of my life. June 2011 Nick was deployed for what could be up to a year in Iraq. Our journey hasn't been easy. We do not have the "perfect" relationship. We argue like brother and sister, but I wouldn't change it for the world. We have been through a lot already so I know we can make it through this. Because of Nick I have learned to never take the little things for granted. I have learned to open up like I never have before with anyone else. I have learned to love unconditionally.He has changed me into the person I am today and has taught me so much about myself. I am not going to say Nick is my soulmate because I don't know if he is, but I do know that he is my best friend and the only person I could imagine myself being with. The next year is going to be rough, but we can make it through anything. I love you Nick Behling. You are my hero. God bless you. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Always love you, always miss you, always proud.
Love, Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment